A new undergraduate programme in Data Science is being launched at St. Petersburg State University in 2019. It is organized jointly with the Mathematics Programme and is aimed at training highly qualified professionals with a deep understanding of the underlying mathematical ideas of computer science, proficient in modern information processing technologies, and capable of creating new principles for technologies of the future.
Features of the Programme:
- Top level of instruction.
- The study programme has been developed by leading Russian and foreign scientists in collaboration with Yandex.
- A fundamental education in all branches of modern mathematics is given during the first two years of studies. The lectures are common with the Mathematics Programme.
- Fundamental mathematical education is combined with a comprehensive set of courses in modern areas of computer science. Courses in theoretical computer science are given in conjunction with classes in programming, and special attention is given to mathematical and algorithmic methods of large-scale data processing, as well as to the foundations of machine learning.
- Strong faculty members. All lecturers are active scientists and experienced teachers: Yuri Davydov, Edward Hirsch, Sergei Ivanov, Sergei Kislyakov, Mikhail Lifshits, Alexander Okhotin, Sergei Pilyugin, Nikolai Vavilov, Yuri Belov, Victor Petrov, Fedor Petrov, Sergei Tikhomirov, and others. Lectures by our faculty members are available at our website.
- Active research work: students are involved in research projects and get in touch with the international scientific community at the Chebyshev Laboratory.
- Applied research: research topics from leading companies are offered to students. Representatives of companies will teach some courses.
- Funding for students’ trips to international conferences.
- Selected courses in English. Several advanced courses for 3rd and 4th year students will be given in English.